Translate

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Less than 3 Weeks to the Boda!!!

Let me be perfectly 1. honesta and say that the wedding is less than three semanas away and I still have a lot to do and am feeling pretty stressed out and exhausted lately. Plus my family is coming in less than dos semanas and I have been busy getting the escuela ready for them. So…this blog is going to be a short one.

Reuniones de Mujeres (Women´s Reunions)

Lately the hermanas from la iglesia have been having get togethers cada martes, and the 2. varones cada sabado. The hombres meet in the school, and the mujeres usually meet in the church edificio or in one of the ladies´houses. We sing 3. cantos and have a short Bible study, then we do some kind of actividad and eat juntos. One of the ladies taught us how to sew flower diseños on a cloth, and another taught us how to knit. The ladies from a nearby congregación, Teopisca (where there is no full time 4. predicador) come and visit with us every other week, and on the other weeks we go there. I´m not much into sewing, but at least they´re doing algo other than having a Bible estudio and leaving quickly afterwards. Below is a foto of us sewing 5. flores on un día when several damas came:

Reuniones de Varones (Men´s Reunions)

David has been using the Saturday reunions to help some of the men develop their preaching skills. Also, some of them having been going evangelizar every Thursday in areas of nuevas congregaciones. The congregation continues to send men to preach in Teopisca, Chiapas (which I mentioned above), as well as others. José Luis and I go to Teopisca every other Saturday. José Luis preaches or gives a Bible class, and sometimes more. There are only about 15 personas in the whole congregation, and only about 4 of them are men, so they need all the help they can get. Here is a foto of my future brother-in-law Gerardo giving a Bible study at Teopisca and the outside of the church building:

Grupo de Parejas Jovenes (Young Couples Group)

You may remember from a few blogs back that José Luis and I wanted to try to 6. iniciar a young couples grupo. We had hoped that after the first 7. convivio one of the other couples would take the initiative to host another one, but when several meses passed and no one else had offered, we decided to try it again. We invited them to come to the school to watch a 8. pelicula we had rented. We hooked it up to the new LCD projector, so it was almost like being in a 9. cine. And we were careful to tell them it was just a movie, because otherwise they would think that it´s¨another worship service¨and wouldn´t come. But they still didn´t come. Apart from José Luis and I and his brother and sister-in-law (who are the only ones we can really count on), only one other couple showed up (out of ten or more). For the longest time I couldn´t figure out why the other couples weren´t interesados…until David mentioned in a Sunday morning worship service that ¨we can´t have young couples reunions because it´s respect of persons. It´s okay to have get togethers but only if we invite the whole congregation.¨ It´s amazing how much one person can 10. influir the whole congregation! I still don´t understand where the cristianos here get their off the wall ideas …but David´s 11. concepto of the young couples group is just the kind of thing I was referring to in the last blog when I said that they´re not ready yet to accept the kind of plans and ideas that I have in mind. Nonetheless, I am 12. determinada to keep trying with the 13. parejas until they finally decide to give in and start coming (ha!)

¿Puedo cortar el cabello, por favor? (May I please cut my hair?)

It´s a big deal here for women to respect their esposos and ask them for permission for todo. Yesterday I went to a hair salon to see about the hairstyle I will use for the wedding. The hairstylist told me it would be a good idea to cut the ends of my hair first. I mentioned (jokingly) that I hadn´t cut my 14. cabello in a while ¨because my boyfriend doesn´t want me to cut it so it´ll be long for the wedding.¨ I told her to go ahead and do it while I was already there, and she started talking about how it would be better to talk to my novio first to make sure it´s okay and then come back another day. ¨Because if the wife doesn´t ask permission from her husband to do things, there are always problems in the relationship.¨ Of course that´s 15. cierto for some things, but not EVERYTHING. I sent José Luis a cell phone message asking his ¨permiso,¨just to appease her. Luckily José Luis is not chauvinistic like many Mexican men, and we both laughed about it later.

Algunas Dificultades de Vivir Aquí (Some Difficulties of Living Here)

It also amazes me how open the Mexicans can be sometimes with their 16. opiniones. I can´t even begin to tell you how sick I am of people who ask me ¨Why do you live by yourself?¨ ¨Why are you going to use colors in your wedding?¨ ¨Why do you use garbage bags?¨ and any other absurd preguntas! I really think there are still a lot of people here who think that I just stay in the house all day twiddling my thumbs, waiting for someone to give me something to do.

Besides the culture, there are some things about living here that I never really have gotten used to. When I´m ready to take a shower, I first have to go and light the pilot light on the boiler, then wait about 40 minutes for the water to get 17. caliente. Yes, I have suffered through plenty of cold showers since I´ve been here because I didn´t wait long enough. On a good day it only takes me five minutes to light the pilot. On a typical day, I try for several minutes, kick it, hit it…and it still doesn´t work. Now that the cold season is upon us, I shiver myself to sleep every night, wondering how long it will be before Mexicans buy heating systems for their casas. When I wash my face en las noches, the agua feels like ice slashing my face. When I wash my 18. ropa, I first have to wait and wait and wait for four buckets to fill up with water…then, 15 minutos después I have to fill up the buckets again in order for the washing machine to start the rinse cycle. (I foolishly did not realize until several loads of clothes too late that the 19. lavadora doesn´t move into the rinse cycle automatically.) If I am in the middle of cooking something and suddenly realize that I don´t have all of the ingredientes, I can´t just get in a car and drive five minutes to the closest grocery store; I have to wait for the bus, then finally arrive at the 20. tienda nearly half an hour after boarding (and by the time I get back I´m already starving!) If everything goes well, though, José Luis and I will move to the good ole USA together in the summer, so I will only have to put up with everything for a few more meses. Every lugar has its fair share of challenges though, so why am I even complaining?

Las Clases de Inglés (The English Classes)

I have been teaching English every sabado (10-12 for beginners and 12-2 for intermediates). The last time I taught I had a good grupo of intermedios but not so many principiantes. This time I have nine in the beginners class (it doesn´t sound like a lot, but it´s more than I usually have) and only two in the intermediates class (José Luis and his brother). The beginners are good students, but they seem to be on auto pilot throughout the entire class. Once again I feel like I am having to clean up the leftovers of poor teachers who don´t teach the students to think, only to write write write and listen listen listen. Plus, the 21. alumnos are too shy to even open their 22. bocas! In the intermediates class, on the other hand, we have been focusing more on conversation and reading skills. I have been giving them more 23. tarea so that we can make the most of the two hours we have together each week. I must admit that I like the intermediates class more even though there are only two of them.

24. Anoche when I came home, several military guys with big guns and stern faces were surrounding the school. Lately they have been stopping there to check cars for 25. drogas. Even so, it´s kind of weird and spooky to see them right in front of my doorstep!

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thankgiving and that you thought of me, turkeyless and familyless, as you wolfed down your meal!!! (Just Kidding.) I spent my ¨Thanksgiving¨going from house to house giving out wedding invitations (since it is not acceptable here to send them in the mail). In half a day we managed only three visitas--and will continue again first thing mañana!

1. honest
2. men
3. songs
4. preacher
5. flowers
6. to start
7. get together
8. movie
9. movie theater
10. influence
11. concept
12. determined
13. couples
14. hair
15. true
16. opinions
17. warm
18. clothes
19. washing machine
20. store
21. students
22. mouths
23. homework
24. last night
25. drugs

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola!
I wanted to wish you a happy wedding! Sorry I couldn't make it but I am there in spirit. I hope you like the illuminary bags and confetti. I helped your sis make them :) What a cool idea.
May God continue to bless you!
Jodi

Micah said...

Hey Elizabeth!

My prayers are with you for the wedding and the immigration process. Hang in there with all the struggles you are enduring. Years from now you will laugh easily at them! I know that you are a blessing to everyone you come in contact with. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Micah

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
I hope all your wedding plans are coming together and everything is going smoothly. I also hope you are enjoying visiting with your family and that you are making good memories to reflect on and help get you through the frustrations and struggles you face.

It's hard to believe this time last year we were riding around looking at Christmas lights and this year you are walking down the aisle!

Take care, have fun, and may God continue to bless you.

Lori Mattox

Anonymous said...

hi ¡¡!! i'm lizbeth i think that you remember me jajaja soy bella elizaa

me agrada saber k se acordaran de mi las fotos son mui bonitazzz ¡¡!!
en verdad ... me alegre al ver tu mensaje y saber de k les ha ido muy bien ai aka ha pasado un buen de cosas elizabeth pero bueno ia tendremos tiempo de platicar k crees ia voy a ser tia de nuevo jeje sera una otra niña eso es lo k han dicho...toda mi familia esta muy feliz por la beby jeje mi mama es muy felizzz.... io ia estoy en la prepa 3 semestre y pues ai mucho mas que contar...

mi familia les manda muchos saludos y bendicionessss a su familiaaa cuidense y esperemosss que muy pronto vengannn a chiapas en verdad que nos hacen faltaaaa ya cambio mucho las reuniones de jovenes al menos io extraño los momentosss tan divertidosss ... te acuerdas de la pijamadaa ¿? jiji fue genial

en abril habra de nuevo la campañaa esperemos y tengan la oportunidad de venirr y sino pues espero que regresen pronto a visitarnosss... juju tambien viene la feria jejej uyy elizabthh amiguiss quisieraa contarteee todoo pero nunka acabaria¡¡!!

ok te quiero muchoo a los dosss s
cuidense y muchos saludoss
:)
k DIOS LOS BENDIGA SIEMPRE

los quiere BELLA LIZBETH :P

Anonymous said...

Heavenly is the largest resort in the area, and the most convenient to get to from Tahoe City, but isn't my personal favorite due to large crowds and big walks. [url=http://www.elitwine.com]canada goose coats[/url] Nepal is going through a very difficult time at the moment. [url=http://www.sagoparap.org]http://www.sagoparap.org[/url] Ptvsdowtq
[url=http://www.texsoco.com]canada goose jakke[/url] Hcrestkdc [url=http://www.christianlouboutinonlineoutlet.co.uk]christian louboutin shoe sale[/url] qxcusbnzm